[Trilinos-Users] Parallel usage of ROL::Algorithm

Ivan, Lucian lucian.ivan at cnl.ca
Tue Sep 24 19:27:44 EDT 2019

OFFICIAL USE ONLY / À USAGE EXCLUSIF
Hi Everyone,

I would like to perform optimizations using the ROL library with a PDE solver that I have full access to the source code.
The parameters of the mathematical model are optimized based on measurements at a number of points.
I achieve the parallelization for the evaluation of the objective function by scattering the points among available CPUs, performing estimates based on the math model at the points (which are expensive calculations), and then evaluate the errors between the model predictions to the measurements.
Although I managed to get the framework setup for a single CPU, the issue I ran into is the setup of the algorithm (ROL::Algorithm<RealT> algo) for a parallelized objective function.
The picture I have in mind is that the optimizer would run on the main CPU, but evaluations of the objective function would be performed with all available CPUs.
I was wondering if anybody could point me to an example of how this can be achieved, or have any suggestions.
Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,
Lucian

Dr. Lucian Ivan
Computational Research Scientist
Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
lucian.ivan at cnl.ca<mailto:lucian.ivan at cnl.ca>
Tel. 613 584 8811 ext. 42592
Fax. 613 584 8033
http://www.cnl.ca/
[CNLLNC_signature_block]

This email is confidential between the sender and the intended recipient specified in the message, and may contain proprietary or otherwise protected information of the intended parties. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and confirm you have deleted this message. Any unauthorized review, disclosure, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or reliance on this information may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited.