[Trilinos-Users] compiling Zoltan under windows

Devine, Karen D kddevin at sandia.gov
Fri Jul 26 17:01:33 EDT 2019

Hi Joan.

All the errors you are seeing are due to MPI_Datatypes or MPI_Op.  Perhaps Microsoft defines them differently from, say, OpenMPI.

Since you are running in  Windows, do you really need MPI?  If not, the simplest fix may be to disable MPI in your builds (TPL_ENABLE_MPI=OFF in CMake).

If you need MPI, can you tell which mpi.h file is being compiled into Zoltan and your application code?  Zoltan provides stubs in zoltan/siMPI/....  If you enable MPI, these stubs should NOT be compiled into your code.  If both Microsoft MPI and these stubs were compiled in, or if the build system used different mpi.h files for different parts of the code, I could imagine getting redefinition messages.

Beyond that, I'll have to ask some colleagues with Windows experience for advice.  Windows is not a strongly supported platform for Zoltan, and I have no Windows machines on which to reproduce your error or test a solution.

Karen