[Trilinos-Users] many interacting blobs in Trilinos

Albert Solernou a.solernou at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 12:30:01 EST 2017

Dear All,

In my team at the University of Leeds (UK) we have written a
self-contained C++ code that simulates interacting blobs in water. More
explicitly, it simulates the time evolution of visco-elastic bodies with
irregular geometries, represented by unstructured tetrahedral meshes,
which interact together via a number of pair-pair potentials. Therefore,
our work combines the problem of the N^2 interacting bodies (external
faces), together with solving the Cauchy momentum equation to calculate
the time evolution of the system. At the moment, we don't consider
hydrodynamic effects, but the friction with the solvent. Still, we will
be modelling these in the future.

We now have strong interest in porting our code to MPI, and considered
using a third party library.

Would Trilinos be the right library? How would its parallel layer cope
with many small interacting bodies (meshes) and maybe some huge long
beam to be bent? Could you please give some guidance on how best to
spend my time learning how to use it? Would it be easy for us to write
extensions to Trilios in case it was needed in the future?

Sorry by the long email, and for asking so many questions. I really only
need some directions, as the library (or set of libraries) is really large.

Best regards,
Albert