[Trilinos-Users] Add dense rank 1 matrix to sparse matrix

Alicia Klinvex aklinvex at purdue.edu
Wed Nov 18 16:11:40 EST 2015

Hello Danielle,

Is this what you're trying to do: Solve a linear system A x = b, where A =
[some sparse matrix B] + [some rank 1 dense matrix C (which is never formed
explicitly)].

If so, we do have a matrix-free interface you could use to avoid having to
explicitly form A.  There's an example that uses this interface in
Trilinos/packages/aztecoo/example/AztecOO_UserOpUserMat.  Essentially, you
could define your own custom subclass of Epetra_Operator with an apply
method that does the following:
* compute sparse matrix vector multiplication using B's apply method
* compute C*x by using Epetra_Vector operations such as dot-product
* add the two together using an Epetra_Vector operation

Does that make sense?  Please feel free to ask if this is unclear.

Thank you,
Alicia