[Trilinos-Users] Add dense rank 1 matrix to sparse matrix

Danielle Catherine Maddix dcmaddix at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 18 13:36:45 EST 2015

Hello,

I have been transferring my lab's finite element code to a trilinos framework for the linear solver. I have assembled the values into the global stiffness matrix of type Epetra_FEVbrMatrix.  However, in our current code at each time step for the linear solvers, such as GMRES, we compute the matrix vector products on this current values and then a matrix vector product by adding in the coupled boundary condition.  These are stored in a separate array.  Is there a way to interface with the AZTECOO solver to add in this matrix vector product at each iteration?

This coupled boundary matrix consists of an outer product.  Another option would be to add this rank 1 matrix to our sparse trilinos matrix. Can the Epetra_Operator be used for this? Is there an efficient built in method to add a sparse matrix to a dense rank 1 matrix? Perhaps using the wrapped blas routines? Forming the rank1 matrix will reduce the efficiency.

Let me know if you have any advice on how to proceed.

Thank you,

Danielle Maddix