[Trilinos-Users] Sparse matrix and Anasazi Solvers,

Alicia Klinvex aklinvex at purdue.edu
Thu Feb 5 09:47:21 MST 2015

Hi Mike,

If ARPACK is working for you and block Krylov-Schur is not, I suspect that
one is using a spectral transformation and the other is not.

I don't know much about scipy's eigs, but I assume it is similar to
Matlab's eigs (which also uses ARPACK).  When you ask Matlab's eigs to find
the smallest eigenvalues of a matrix, it will automatically transform the
problem of finding the smallest eigenpairs of A x = \lambda x into the
equivalent problem of finding the largest eigenpairs of A^{-1} x =
\lambda^{-1}x.  Anasazi's Krylov Schur does not do that unless you
explicitly tell it to.  Could that be the problem you're having?  If so, we
can discuss how to tell Krylov-Schur that's what you want to do.

Best wishes,
Alicia Klinvex