[Trilinos-Users] Error while building : Teuchos_GlobalMPISession.cpp

Hoemmen, Mark mhoemme at sandia.gov
Mon Dec 9 09:05:00 MST 2013

On Dec 7, 2013, at 12:00 PM, <trilinos-users-request at software.sandia.gov>
 <trilinos-users-request at software.sandia.gov> wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 13:07:17 -0600
> From: "vsweta @iastate.edu" <vsweta at iastate.edu>
> Subject: [Trilinos-Users] Error while building :
> 	Teuchos_GlobalMPISession.cpp
> To: trilinos-users at software.sandia.gov
>
> Hi
> I am trying to install trilinos on a cluster. I have it installed on my
> computer and it is up and running. However when trying to install it on the
> cluster using the same config file (with the paths changed appropriately),
> once the configuration is done, when i try to build it using "make"
> I get the following error (after generating a few obj files) :
>
> *Linking CXX static library libteuchoscore.a[  2%] Built target
> teuchoscore[  2%] Building CXX object
> packages/teuchos/core/test/CommandLineProcessor/CMakeFiles/TeuchosCore_CommandLineProcessor_test.dir/cxx_main.cpp.omake[2]:
> Warning: File `packages/teuchos/core/src/libteuchoscore.a' has modification
> time 6.9e+02 s in the futureLinking CXX executable
> TeuchosCore_CommandLineProcessor_test.exe../../src/libteuchoscore.a(Teuchos_GlobalMPISession.cpp.o):
> In function `Teuchos::GlobalMPISession::initialize(std::basic_ostream<char,
> std::char_traits<char> >*)':Teuchos_GlobalMPISession.cpp:(.text+0x264):
> undefined reference to
> `MPI_Initialized'

This suggests that somehow Trilinos was unable to find your MPI library at the location indicated in your configuration.  Note that all the "undefined reference" errors refer either to MPI functions or to OpenMPI's implementation of MPI functions (e.g., "ompi_mpi_comm_world").  Are you able to build a simple MPI program on the cluster that does not use Trilinos?  If not, then your configuration probably isn't pointing to the right location for MPI.  If so, then please come back to us with the Makefile that works for the non-Trilinos MPI program, and your MPI configuration for Trilinos, and we'll try to help out :-)

Thanks!
mfh