[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Re: AMG Preconditioner Neumann Laplacian 32 vs 64 bit issue

Alberto F. Martín-Huertas amartin at cimne.upc.edu
Fri Dec 2 00:55:47 MST 2011

 Hi Martin,

 I guess that this funky thing Ray is referring
 to is highly sensitive to rounding errors, which
 in turn depend on the compiler/architecture. This may
 explain why you are observing a different behaviour
 among both machines.

 Regards,
  Alberto.

 On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 21:42:18 +0100, Martin Stoll wrote:
> [...]
>> is still singular. We then use a direct solver
>> for this system (by default). The direct solver might do something
>> funky with the singular system, and
>> then ML will happily interpolate this funky thing up the
>> hierarchy. ML often works with singular systems, but
>> it is always a bit scary and it is best to just do an iterative
>> solve for the coarsest level system.
>> -Ray
>>
>> -------------------------
>>
>> FROM: Martin Stoll [martin.stoll80 at gmail.com [18]]
>> SENT: Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:16 PM
>> TO: Tuminaro, Raymond S
>> CC: Alberto F. Martín-Huertas; trilinos-users at software.sandia.gov
>> [19]
>> SUBJECT: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Trilinos-Users] AMG Preconditioner
>> Neumann Laplacian 32 vs 64 bit issue
>>
>> Dear Ray,
>>
>> thanks for the comments.
>>
>> Yes, the Neumann Laplacian is indeed singular. In fact, from
>> within dealII I simply use the ML AMG preconditioner as a black box
>> as there are only a few parameters I can play with. In my case
>> usually, type of smoother, smoother steps and number of cycles. So
>> am not really aware what is happening within ML and I go with all
>> the default settings. I am sorry for being so ignorant but I never
>> had any problems. Only when I moved my code to a different machine
>> running 64 bits I was having problems. Again, same version of
> dealII
>> and trilinos on my mac runs smoothly.
>>
>> I will look into changing some options from within deal.II to try
>> a different solver for the coarse grid and hope for the best.
>>
>> Thanks again for the comments.
>>
>> Best,
>> Martin
>>
>> 2011/12/1 Tuminaro, Raymond S
>>
>>> So, I'm guessing that the Neumann Laplacian is singular.  Are
>>> you using a direct solve on the coarsest grid? Depending on how
>>> things are handled here ... you might get different results. You
>>> might try switching to an
>>> iterative method on the coarsest level and see what happens.
>>>
>>> -Ray
>>>
>>> -------------------------
>>>
>>> FROM: trilinos-users-bounces at software.sandia.gov [10]
>>> [trilinos-users-bounces at software.sandia.gov [11]] on behalf of
>>> Martin Stoll [martin.stoll80 at gmail.com [12]]
>>> SENT: Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:29 AM
>>> TO: Alberto F. Martín-Huertas
>>> CC: trilinos-users at software.sandia.gov [13]
>>> SUBJECT: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Trilinos-Users] AMG Preconditioner
>>> Neumann Laplacian 32 vs 64 bit issue
>>>
>>> Hi Alberto,
>>> thanks for your comment.
>>>
>>> I just tried the Dirichlet Laplacian on  the velocity space,
>>> the Neumann Laplacian was on the pressure space, and that worked
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> As I said on my laptop and the 32 bit desktop everything work
>>> but when I switch to the 64 bit machine the outcome is quite
>>> different. Our software engineer also tried different versions of
>>> trilinos (currently 10.4.2, which is recommended by the deal.II