[Trilinos-Users] ML on 2x2 block structures?

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at ua.ac.be
Thu Oct 21 05:43:57 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I have this Hermitian, positive definite linear problem here, and I'd
like to speed up CG performance by preconditioning with ML.
There are N complex-valued unknowns. In one implementation, the matrix
is constructed as a real-valued 2Nx2N Epetra_FECrsMatrix/_Operator by
splitting up the real and imaginary parts of the unknowns. The matrix
can be viewed as consisting of 2x2 blocks.
Using ML for this problem does not perform well, and I think one reason
for this is that ML has no notion of this block structure, and thus may
perform interpolation between the real and imaginary parts, or similar
undesirable things.

Is there a canonical way to treat problems like this in ML?

Cheers,
Nico