[Trilinos-Users] Parallel Performance and non-continuous block layout

M. Scot Breitenfeld brtnfld at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 4 10:29:52 MDT 2010

  Does it effect the parallel performance to have non-continuous nodal
global ordering? For example, in 1D if I have (2 procs),

1    2    3   4    5   6   7   8
o    o   o   o  | o   o   o  o

then the processors will have continuous blocks of rows (proc 0, 0-3:
proc 1: 4-7) or the other case:

1    4    5   8    3   6   7   2
o    o   o   o  | o   o   o  o

where proc 0 has rows 0,3,4,7 and proc 1 has rows 2, 5, 7, 1.
Also, my method requires nodes in the region past partition boundary
(for example nodes 3,6,7 contribute to proc 0), not just the nodes
directly adjacent to the partition boundary.

And another question, can I do my calculations for partition boundary
nodes (nodes involved with communication) and then: call
GlobalAssemble,  do the calculations for my interior nodes, and call
FillComplete ?

Thanks,
Scot