[Trilinos-Users] Pytrilinos, Ubuntu 8.10, AMD Turon 64 and Python DL module

Scott Askey scotta_2002 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 19:47:08 MDT 2008

Will Pytrilinos run well in  Ubuntu 8.10 on an  AMD Turon 64?  Has anyone done this?

I am about to buy a new $600 "vista" notebook, convert it to Linux and have it to run PyTrilinos well in a 64 bit environment. Ubuntu 8.10 is my OS of choice.

I have had problems building building python2.5 in particular the DL module in a 64 bit AMD and Red Hat (RHEL/Centos4) environment. The Sage math linux64 binary contains no python DL module.   The absence of the DL python module compromises the dynamic linking involve in building and testing PyTrilinos.  In the end I regressed to the /usr/bin/python2.3 that was bundled with Centos4 on the cluster at work.

Building and testing PyTrilinos more or less just works of my personal computer running Ubuntu 8.10 and Trilinos-9.0.0 on my 32 bit coreDuo MacBookPro after I set DL_LIBRARY_PATH to $PREFIX/lib and $PYTHONPATH to  $PREFIX/lib/python2.x/site-packages.

Thanks Scott