[Trilinos-Users] Trilinos-Users Digest, Vol 38, Issue 13

Heroux, Michael A maherou at sandia.gov
Fri Oct 17 07:20:57 MDT 2008

Riccardo,

We do not generally support this model of construction in our concrete data class since maps are often shared and resizing them would create a very complicated dependency graph with unintended and confused consequences.

Howver, you can use the Teuchos Reference Counted Pointer (RCP) to accomplish what you want in a similar fashion.  You can create a Null valued RCP for each object you will eventually construct, then assign a concrete FECrsMatrix and Vector pointer to the RCP when you actually want to create one of these objects with the appropriate sizes and data.  Resizing can occur by creating a new FECrsMatrix or Vector object and assigning its pointer to the RCP, which will properly delete the old one.

This approach is desirable from a few perspectives and should give you the functional model you like.

I hope this helps.

Mike