[Trilinos-Users] Problem when linking trilinos with Python...

Mandus mandus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:32:14 MST 2006

Hi,

Settings is (approximately) this:

*) Trilinos v.6.0.10, config.log (including the configure-line) included.
*) A small and simple matsparse implementation, intended for use from
Python, implemented in C++
*) A simple interface to ML (PrecML) to get AMG preconditioning for the
matsparse as in Ax=b.
*) A swig-based interface to everything.

When compiling on ia32 (i386) architecture, everything is just fine. But
when compiling on AMD64 in a pure 64bit environment, I get the following:

--8<--
g++ -shared MatSparse_wrap.o -L/home/aasmundo/divsoftware/trilinos/lib
-L/usr/lib/atlas ../DegMatSparse.o ../MapMatSparse.o ../DMS.o
../FastMatSparse.o ../isearch.o ../PrecML.o ../SparseVec.o ../MapSparseVec.o
-lblas -llapack -lml -laztecoo -lepetra  -lteuchos  -o _MatSparse.so
/usr/bin/ld:
/home/aasmundo/divsoftware/trilinos/lib/libaztecoo.a(az_f_util.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making
a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/home/aasmundo/divsoftware/trilinos/lib/libaztecoo.a: could not read
symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [module] Error 1
--8<--

This is when the swig-based wrapper should be linked together with the libs
to provide the Python module. As will be evident from the options I have
provided to trilinos configure, I have tried to enable -fPIC for trilinos.
The problem (I think) may be that the objectfile mentioned in the error
message, az_f_util.o, is from a fortran source file, and as far as I know,
-fPIC is not a valid option for the fortran compiler.

I have made sure that any other part of the setup have -fPIC enabled.

If there is someone out there with experience with AMD64 or otherwise may
have some clues on this, I'm very thankful!

takre care,
--
Mandus
The only mandus around.