[Trilinos-Users] Problem when linking trilinos with Python...

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 6 08:57:09 MST 2006

Mandus,

I am not aware of anyone who has successfully gotten PyTrilinos to
work on a 64-bit architecture yet, although there was some interest
at one point.  Hopefully there is someone with AMD64 experience who
can provide some help.

On Jan 4, 2006, at 22:32:14 +0100, Mandus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Settings is (approximately) this:
>
> *) Trilinos v.6.0.10, config.log (including the configure-line)
> included.
> *) A small and simple matsparse implementation, intended for use from
> Python, implemented in C++
> *) A simple interface to ML (PrecML) to get AMG preconditioning for
> the
> matsparse as in Ax=b.
> *) A swig-based interface to everything.
>
> When compiling on ia32 (i386) architecture, everything is just
> fine. But
> when compiling on AMD64 in a pure 64bit environment, I get the
> following:
>
> --8<--
> g++ -shared MatSparse_wrap.o -L/home/aasmundo/divsoftware/trilinos/lib
> -L/usr/lib/atlas ../DegMatSparse.o ../MapMatSparse.o ../DMS.o
> ../FastMatSparse.o ../isearch.o ../PrecML.o ../SparseVec.o ../
> MapSparseVec.o
> -lblas -llapack -lml -laztecoo -lepetra  -lteuchos  -o _MatSparse.so
> /usr/bin/ld:
> /home/aasmundo/divsoftware/trilinos/lib/libaztecoo.a(az_f_util.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used
> when making
> a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> /home/aasmundo/divsoftware/trilinos/lib/libaztecoo.a: could not read
> symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [module] Error 1
> --8<--
>
> This is when the swig-based wrapper should be linked together with
> the libs
> to provide the Python module. As will be evident from the options I
> have
> provided to trilinos configure, I have tried to enable -fPIC for
> trilinos.
> The problem (I think) may be that the objectfile mentioned in the
> error
> message, az_f_util.o, is from a fortran source file, and as far as
> I know,
> -fPIC is not a valid option for the fortran compiler.
>
> I have made sure that any other part of the setup have -fPIC enabled.
>
> If there is someone out there with experience with AMD64 or
> otherwise may
> have some clues on this, I'm very thankful!
>
> takre care,
> --
> Mandus
> The only mandus around.

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-5451      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0316    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **