[Trilinos-Users] az_reorder.f

Mike Heroux maherou at sandia.gov
Mon Dec 5 08:46:10 MST 2005

Simone,

It was a common practice, and probably still is in some circles, to declare
an array this way, even if the array had more than one element.  It is a
simple way to tell the compiler that the argument was an array without
needing to declare its dimension.  Since Fortran compilers by default did
not (do not?) check the array bounds, there was no practical difference
between this type of declaration and a more rigorous specification.

If you are compiling with array bounds checking on, then the runtime library
will complain, but it is very likely not a real error, especially since this
code is very mature and has not been changes in many years.

Mike