[Trilinos-Users] anasazi and eigs with singular matrix

Simone Deparis deparis at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 1 18:57:16 MST 2005

Hi Heidi,

Thornquist, Heidi K wrote:
> Hi Simone,
>
> Yes, we have experience with this type of problem.  In fact, an example
> for solving something similar
> to this can be found in BlockKrylovSchurEpetraExGen.cpp.

thank you, I look through this.

> What specific eigenvalues are you looking to
> compute for this generalized problem (Ax = \lambda Bx), i.e. largest
> magnitude, smallest magnitude, rightmost?

Actually I'll work with the symmetrized version of A: (A+A^T)/2 and B is
already simmetric.
I look for the larger and the two smallest (in magnitude) eigenvalue +
vector.

> I would be glad to help you set this up.  If you want to take a look at
> the example, we can start there.

Thank you. I have to finish to set up my matrices and run some tests and
then I'll start with the eigsproblem.

Thank you
Simone
PS: I add here some answers to David:

 > Another question:
 > How accurate do the eigenvectors need to be?

I need an accurate upper bound for the largest and accurate lower bounds
for the smallest ones. But since I am realistic, I take what I get :-)

 > Are you checking that the inf-sup bound?

Do you mean the inf-sup lower bound? Among others.
I have a set of matrices A, each independend one from an other and they
are undefinite. The only helping bit is that since I simmetrize, the
eigs will be real.