[Trilinos-Announce] PyTrilinos Tutorial

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Thu Aug 31 10:01:00 MDT 2006

Trilinos Users/Developers,

Several of you have expressed interest in either using or helping to
develop the python interface to Trilinos.  I am of the opinion that
just another talk at the Trilinos Users Group meeting might be
insufficient to make this happen and would prefer to lead a hands-on
tutorial.  Mike has agreed to set aside time, possibly as a parallel
session, during the TUG for a PyTrilinos Tutorial.

If you would be interested in attending such a tutorial, please
respond to me (wfspotz at sandia.gov -- please do not respond to
Trilinos-Announce) and let me know.  The number of people who express
interest will determine how we proceed.

Topics would include:

     * Building and installing PyTrilinos
     * Obtaining documentation and help
     * Special focus on the Epetra module
     * The numpy module (numerical python) and Epetra compatibility
     * Solving systems of equations
     * For developers I could include:
         o Extending existing PyTrilinos modules
         o Python unit testing tools
         o Wrapping a package from scratch

For those in Albuquerque who might be interested but do not know
python, I could organize another Python Tutorial in advance.  I have
already done this for several Trilinos developers.  Let me know in
your response.

Thanks

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-5451      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **