[Trilinos-Users] Question about boolean inside Trillinos to know if a matrix is symmetric positive-definite

Heroux, Michael A maherou at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 3 08:16:11 MST 2020

Jordi,

Testing symmetry is fairly straightforward.  Here is an example function from the HPCG Benchmark code:  https://github.com/hpcg-benchmark/hpcg/blob/master/src/TestSymmetry.cpp

Testing positive definiteness is more challenging.  There is a version of the conjugate gradients method in AztecOO that produces an estimate of the condition number of the matrix, which, for an SPD matrix, is the ratio of the max and min eigenvalues.  I am not sure if or how it would work if the matrix is indefinite.  Selecting this solver is straightforward if you are already using AztecOO.  See this PDF and search on condnum:  https://trilinos.github.io/pdfs/Trilinos4.0Tutorial.pdf

Note that this will produce a condition estimate for the preconditioned matrix, if you are using preconditioning.

Sorry there is nothing easier.  In general, we tend to know from the properties of our problems whether or not a matrix is symmetric, positive definite or both, so we don’t provide turnkey ways to test for these properties.

Mike