[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Trilinos-Users Digest, Vol 166, Issue 1

Hoemmen, Mark mhoemme at sandia.gov
Tue Dec 3 12:24:34 MST 2019

Greetings --

It sounds like you're a bit confused about how Tpetra's sparse matrices work.  It's perfectly valid for a matrix to have no stored ("nonzero") entries in a row.  You can have a row Map that has 10 global rows, for example, even if the matrix has no nonzero entries at all.  It's also valid to have a column Map with (say) 10 global rows in this case.

Thus, it makes no sense to talk about a Map with indices in it, in which no MPI process has that index.  (I am deliberately avoiding the word "owns," since it confuses finite-element mesh experts.  Distributed finite-element meshes talk about "owned" degrees of freedom and "shared" degrees of freedom.  Tpetra::Map does not distinguish "owns" and "shares."  If an index is in a Map somewhere, then one or more MPI processes in the Map's MPI communicator "have" that index.  If multiple processes "have" the index, then Tpetra does NOT specify a "boss" or "owning" process for that index.  The Export or Import process is Tpetra's way of letting users specify an "owning" process.)

To repeat: There is no such thing as a Map with an index that no process "owns."  Such a Map cannot exist.

The indexBase must equal the smallest global index, globally (over all MPI processes in the Map's communicator).   Otherwise, don't worry about it; it practically has no effect.

Best,
Mark Hoemmen