[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] PHG_EDGE_SIZE_THRESHOLD is low

Devine, Karen D kddevin at sandia.gov
Tue Jan 9 12:15:56 EST 2018

The PHG partitioner is a hypergraph partitioner that can be used for graph partitioning.
Before partitioning, it removes dense edges that contain more than
PHG_EDGE_SIZE_THRESHOLD * total_number_of_vertices
vertices, as these edges likely will incur high communication costs regardless of the partition.

Your example is an extreme case.   You are doing graph partitioning (with number of vertices per edge always equal to 2) of a problem with total_number_of_vertices = 2.  Thus, the only edge has all the vertices and is, thus, dense.  There is no balanced partition that can avoid communication across that edge.  So we remove the edge.

I assume this test problem is not a real use case.  If you try a problem with nine elements, you should not see this warning.  Or you can set PHG_EDGE_SIZE_THRESHOLD to 1.0.

The Zoltan user guide has info on Zoltan parameters.  For this issue, see http://www.cs.sandia.gov/zoltan/ug_html/ug_alg_phg.html