[Trilinos-Users] Segmentation fault when using setPrecOperator and user defined preconditoner

Heroux, Michael A maherou at sandia.gov
Tue May 30 16:05:18 EDT 2017

John,

Can you send the error output?

Mike

From: Trilinos-Users <trilinos-users-bounces at trilinos.org> on behalf of John Jomo <john.jomo at tum.de>
Date: Monday, May 29, 2017 at 10:39 AM
To: Trilinos Users <trilinos-users at trilinos.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Trilinos-Users] Segmentation fault when using setPrecOperator and user defined preconditoner

Hallo,

I want to apply a user-defined preconditioner when using Aztec00 through the function setPrecOperator() but get an exception when the iterate function is called on my AzteC00 object. The exception seems to be related to a bad_cast.

Here is a code snippet.

Teuchos::ParameterList mySolverParameterlist;
mySolverParameterlist.set( "AZ_output", AZ_summary );
mySolverParameterlist.set( "AZ_tol", 1e-10 );
mySolverParameterlist.set( "AZ_conv", AZ_rhs );
mySolverParameterlist.set( "AZ_solver", AZ_cg );
mySolverParameterlist.set( "Max_Iters", 8000 );

Epetra_LinearProblem problem( A, x, b );

AztecOO solver(problem);

EpetraFECrsMatrixPtr preconditioner = myEpetraLinearSystem.computePreconditionerMatrix();

solver.SetParameters( mySolverParameterlist );
solver.SetPrecOperator( preconditioner );
solver.Iterate( mySolverParameterlist.get("Max_Iters",100), mySolverParameterlist.get( "AZ_tol",1e-8) );

I tried following the advice in the AzteC00 examples or in the following thread

https://trilinos.org/pipermail/trilinos-users/2016-January/005276.html

My user defined Preconditioner is an algebraic preconditoner which I store as a Epetra_FECrsMatrix. I compute the values of the preconditioner in the function computePreconditionerMatrix() and call FillComplete when finished.

A Epetra_FECrsMatrix should be a Epetra_Operator so I do not see why code doesn't work. Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks for the help.

bests,

John

--