[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Query STK entities for a global index?

Williams, Alan B william at sandia.gov
Thu Dec 29 11:46:18 EST 2016

Hi Kevin,

It isn’t really an intended STK Mesh usage. However, there is a way to have the stk_io component populate such a field for you.
When reading an exodus file using stk_io, you can do something like this:

stk::mesh::MetaData& meta = …
stk::io::StkMeshIoBroker& ioBroker = …

ioBroker.create_input_mesh();
meta.declare_field<stk::mesh::Field<int> >(stk::topology::NODE_RANK, “implicit_node_ids”);
ioBroker.populate_bulk_data();

Notes:
The ‘create_input_mesh()’ call declares some things on the meta-data object, but doesn’t read nodes/elements/etc. Afterwards, you can still declare fields on meta-data up until you call populate_bulk_data(). If you have declared a nodal field with the name “implicit_node_ids”, then populate_bulk_data should populate it with data that looks like your desired [0, 1, 2] and [3, 4] values. I’m not sure whether the values will be 0-based or 1-based.
If you subsequently create new nodes (or delete nodes) during the course of your run, these ‘implicit node ids’ will not be automatically maintained for you.
Most important note: this is a feature that isn’t guaranteed by the API, and I can’t promise whether it is a permanent or well-supported feature.

Regarding addressing matrix/vector locations, I believe that both Epetra and Tpetra maps can be set up to use either global or local ids.

Alan