[Trilinos-Users] Best way to submit questions regarding installation

Alicia Klinvex aklinvex at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:01:26 EDT 2016

Hello Simon,

I don't know if we have an official policy on this at Sandia, but what I
found useful as a grad student was sending detailed emails to the user list
explaining what I was trying to do and what problem I was seeing.  For
example:

[begin example]
My name is Alicia, and I'm a grad student at Purdue University working with
Ahmed Sameh.  I'm interested in using Trilinos to implement his
trace-minimization eigensolver, but I'm having trouble getting it
installed.  I created a do-configure script as suggested at
https://trilinos.org/docs/files/TrilinosBuildReference.html and have
attached it to this message.  When I ran the configuration script,
everything seemed to work fine, but Trilinos failed to build correctly,
producing the following error message:

/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.cpp:
In member function ‘int Amesos_Superludist::Factor()’:
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.cpp:453:81:
error: invalid conversion from ‘int’ to ‘LUstruct_t*’
[-fpermissive]

/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.cpp:453:81:
error: too many arguments to function ‘void LUstructInit(int_t,
LUstruct_t*)’

In file included from
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.cpp:38:0:

/home/amklinv/IDEAS/xSDKTest/xsdk-install-no-trilinos/include/superlu_ddefs.h:277:13:
note: declared here
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.cpp:490:9:
error: ‘DOUBLE’ was not declared in this scope
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.cpp:490:9:
note: suggested alternative:
In file included from
/projects/install/rhel6-x86_64/sems/compiler/gcc/4.7.2/openmpi/1.6.5/include/openmpi/ompi/mpi/cxx/mpicxx.h:204:0,

                 from
/projects/install/rhel6-x86_64/sems/compiler/gcc/4.7.2/openmpi/1.6.5/include/mpi.h:2087,

                 from
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/epetra/src/Epetra_Time.h:63,

                 from
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Time.h:5,

                 from
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.h:36,

                 from
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.cpp:32:

/projects/install/rhel6-x86_64/sems/compiler/gcc/4.7.2/openmpi/1.6.5/include/openmpi/ompi/mpi/cxx/constants.h:125:37:
note:   ‘MPI::DOUBLE’
/home/amklinv/TrilinosDir/github/Trilinos/packages/amesos/src/Amesos_Superludist.cpp:499:9:
error: ‘EXTRA’ was not declared in this scope

Does anyone know what could be causing this?  I am using Trilinos 12.6, and
I would be happy to provide any additional files if they would be helpful.
[end example]
(Note: this is just an example; this weird error is caused by forgetting to
link the METIS library.)

When you send us a message that detailed (whether here or on github), you
raise the probability of getting a quick response from either
* somebody who wants to help you because they think your research is
super-cool, or
* somebody who's seen that same issue recently

Best wishes,
Alicia Klinvex

PS: I'm glad your issue got resolved, Robert :-)