[Trilinos-Users] Upgrade minimum CMake version from 2.8.11 to 3.3.2?

Bartlett, Roscoe A rabartl at sandia.gov
Thu Apr 21 14:41:00 EDT 2016

Hello Trilinos users and developers,

I would like to propose that we upgrade the minimum required version of CMake needed for Trilinos from 2.8.11 to 3.3.2.  The reason is that we have a minor patched version of CMake 3.3.2 [1] that runs 3x to 4x faster than CMake 2.8.11.  This will allow us to speed up our automated testing for Trilinos and make developers more productive.

Will this cause a problem for anyone?

If so, then Trilinos (and TriBITS) can continue to support CMake 2.8.11 but it might result in some extra testing to ensure backward compatibility with CMake 2.8.11.

Cheers,

-Ross

Dr. Roscoe A. Bartlett, PhD
Sandia National Laboratories
Trilinos Software Engineering and Integration Technologies Lead
Consortium for the Advanced Simulation of Light Water Reactors (CASL) Physics Integration Infrastructure Lead

[1] Installed with `install-cmake.py --cmake-version=3.3.2 ...`  See: https://github.com/TriBITSPub/TriBITS/blob/master/tribits/devtools_install/install-cmake.py