[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Would Trilinos be suitable for this project?

Salinger, Andrew agsalin at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 6 13:54:39 EDT 2015

Van,

You sure have an interesting problem. It is hard to tell from this if
there is any low-hanging fruit that Trilinos could help with. I was
glad to hear you are already using analytic derivatives and Newton solve.
Here are ideas from a quick read ― most would require more extensive
collaborations.

* Parallelization of sparse matrix solve (if it becomes significant cost)
  is an easy piece to replace
* Adjoint gradients ― integrate the mismatch backwards instead of the
  sensitivities forward. If you are integrating forward sensitivities for
  20 quantities x 72 levels along each path, the adjoint approach could
  lead to a huge savings. (Can ask our seismic inversion team.)
* Automatic differentiation ― would have saved on coding of Jacobians
  and sensitivities. May not be useful now if these are already correct
  and the equations aren’t changing, but a Huge development cost savings
  when calculating derivatives when the model changes regularly.
* Multi-integrations: if sets of the integrals follow the same path,
  then a single integration with multiple right-hand sides could lead to
  efficiencies. Sounds like each integral might have a unique path because
  of frequency-dependent parameters.
* Optimization alg: perhaps Dakota or ROL have algorithms that could
  reduce the iterations needed to converge.
* Bayesian calibration: instead of inverting for a single best-guess of
  all the parameters that minimize the mismatch, invert for probability
  functions for them. For instance, the data might constrain some of the
  quantities (temperature) very tightly about the optimum while others
  (some trace species) might be able to vary widely without impacting
  the data fit significantly. This can add 1000x to the computational
  cost. (This is accessible through Dakota.)
* Are there opportunities to learn from previous runs to accelerate
  convergence? Such as re-using preconditioners or recycling Krylov
subspaces.
* Reduced order modeling: can you construct a reduced basis for your
unknowns if they have a consistent correlation?

Andy

On 10/5/15, 4:54 PM, "Trilinos-Users on behalf of W Van Snyder"
<trilinos-users-bounces at trilinos.org on behalf of