[Trilinos-Users] Upcoming changes in Trilinos

Heroux, Michael A maherou at sandia.gov
Thu Jan 15 13:59:11 MST 2015

Dear Trilinos Users,

We will be releasing Trilinos version 11.14 very soon.  But this note is primarily about the subsequent release 12.0.

We plan to release Trilinos 12.0 in the late spring of this year.  This version of Trilinos will contain disruptive changes for many users as, per convention with ".0" releases, we are deprecating some features.  We are also introducing a large collection of many core and accelerator capabilities in Tpetra and Kokkos, and introducing an explicit dependence on some C++11 features.

What does this mean for you?

  1.  If you are presently using the Epetra-based stack of Trilinos:  If you are using Epetra and do not plan to start using Tpetra in the near future:
     *   You will have only modest adjustments to make.
     *   You can prepare for the Trilinos 12.0 release by enabling deprecation warning errors in Trilinos 11.14.
  2.  If you are using Tpetra and related capabilities from official releases of Trilinos:  If you are presently using Tpetra or plan to do so soon and want to use Trilinos 12.0 or later releases:
     *   You will need to transition to a C++11 compilation mode as part of your use of Trilinos 12.0.
     *   The minimal compiler versions (GCC and Intel) in our experience are GCC 4.7.2 and Intel 13.
     *   However, we generally find that more recent compilers are preferred.
     *   Requiring C++11 mode means that all of your C++ code and libraries must compile with this mode enabled.  This could be very disruptive if you are using other C++ libraries that are not C++11 compatible.
  3.  If you are using Tpetra from a Trilinos git clone:  If you obtain Trilinos from a Trilinos git repository, either the main repository or the public clone, and utilize the head branch of the repository:
     *   You will start to see disruptions shortly after the release of Trilinos 11.14.
     *   We will start enforcing the use of C++11 mode after the first week of February.
     *   We foresee that the git clones will have increased disruptions as we migrate toward explicit dependence on C++11 mode.

This message is just a heads-up to let you know of coming changes.  We will continue to communicate with you and provide detailed guidance as we go along.  We also have a dedicated page on trilinos.org that we will use for C++11 migration issues:

http://trilinos.org/<http://trilinos.org/about/cxx11>about/cxx11<http://trilinos.org/about/cxx11>

Thanks.