[Trilinos-Users] Requesting Trilion source code installation

Heroux, Mike MHeroux at CSBSJU.EDU
Mon Sep 1 08:28:48 MDT 2014

BLAS and LAPACK are de facto standard (Fortran) interfaces to a wide variety of linear algebra functions.  Trilinos depends on these two libraries, but we do not provide direct installation support.

Depending on the system you are using, you may already have these libraries installed.  The Trilinos build system is fairly good at automatically detecting BLAS/LAPACK if they are in standard locations, including in standard library directories, veclib and MKL (see discussion below).

In many situations, it is desirable to have optimized implementations, especially of the BLAS libraries.  However, standard preconditioned Krylov solvers (except for GMRES) do not typically have a strong performance dependence on optimized BLAS and LAPACK.  Also, LAPACK uses BLAS kernels to perform basic linear algebra operations and can derive most of its performance benefits from having an optimized BLAS library underneath.

Here are some sources for BLAS/LAPACK, but you should do some searching on your own to understand a broader set of options.

- Reference implementations:  The Fortran reference versions of BLAS and LAPACK are available from netlib.org<http://netlib.org>.  You can compile these and create an archive on your own.  These will not provide an optimized version.  However, if you obtain an optimized version of the BLAS from one of the other options below, you can use the reference version of LAPACK built from netlib.org<http://netlib.org> and get reasonable performance.

- CLAPACK: Derived from the reference BLAS and LAPACK, this version provides a C interface to these libraries.  It also has a build system (cmake) that supports installation across a broad set of platforms, including MS Windows.  These are not optimal implementations, but might be more attractive than working with the standard reference implementations.

- Linux:  The standard Linux distributions all have blas and lapack packages that are easily installed via the package manager.  Although these are not optimized version of these libraries, they can be a reasonable starting point.

- Mac: The veclib library provides both BLAS and LAPACK.  The BLAS are optimized.  Check online for details to install.

- Atlas:  Provides a free "autotuning" BLAS.

- Intel MKL:  The Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL) provides commercially support, optimized BLAS and LAPACK.  These are included with the Intel compilers.  If your system has the Intel compilers, you can access BLAS and LAPACK via MKL.

There are other sources for these libraries, but the ones listed above are what I see used most often.

I hope this helps.

Mike