[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Find enclosing element in EXODUS II tetrahedral mesh.

Pawlowski, Roger P rppawlo at sandia.gov
Thu Jan 16 09:10:17 MST 2014

Hi Michael,

There is a Trilinos package called DataTransferKit (DTK) that does this exact computation (locating the global element index for an arbitrary point) as part of a data transfer in multiphysics code-to-code coupling.  It does not have the exact interface to return the data to you in the form you expect, so you might have to modify the interfaces (or pull the data out of the source evaluation function).

DTK is a trilinos package but it is housed in a separate repository.  You can download from:

https://github.com/CNERG/DataTransferKit.git

You can build this as part of trilinos by putting this repository in the top level of trilinos and telling trilnos about the extra repository at configure time with the configure flag:

-D Trilinos_EXTRA_REPOSITORIES="DataTransferKit"

The way to do this is to build the data transfer kit and use the STK mesh interface to load the exodus mesh.  Once in STK form, pull the element gids and coordinates out of STK and pass to DTK.  Then you can try to do a data transfer requesting an arbitrary list of points.  In the source evaluation, the gids for each point are passed into that function.

Roger