[Trilinos-Users] Find enclosing element in EXODUS II tetrahedral mesh.

Heroux, Mike MHeroux at csbsju.edu
Thu Jan 16 08:26:53 MST 2014

Michael,

I don't know if you got a private response or not, but I am unaware of functionality in Trilinos that would address your need.

Best regards,

Mike

From: Michael Afanasiev <mafanasiev at gmail.com<mailto:mafanasiev at gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, January 13, 2014 1:26 PM
To: "trilinos-users at software.sandia.gov<mailto:trilinos-users at software.sandia.gov>" <trilinos-users at software.sandia.gov<mailto:trilinos-users at software.sandia.gov>>
Subject: [Trilinos-Users] Find enclosing element in EXODUS II tetrahedral mesh.

Hi everyone,

My name is Michael Afanasiev, and I am a PhD student at ETH Zürich, in Switzerland.

I’m working with a large 3-D tetrahedral finite element mesh, which is stored as an EXODUS II file. I need to find the smallest simplex that encloses an arbitrary 3-D point. Alternatively, the enclosing element would do just fine. The purpose is for interpolation over the element.

I’m currently accomplishing this by recursively searching a KDTree around my requested point, and finding the smallest enclosing simplex. This works pretty well in most cases. I was wondering if there was any functionality built into Trilinos or EXODUS that would accomplish this instead, or if anyone has an alternative idea.

Cheers, and all the best. Apologies if this comes through as a duplicate.
Mike.

--
Michael Afanasiev
Ph.D. Candidate