[Trilinos-Users] Epetra, Isorropia (Zoltan) - 2D matrix partition

Erik Boman egboman at sandia.gov
Wed Aug 20 16:12:27 MDT 2014

Gyorgy,

I suppose by "2D partitioning" you refer to the partitioning of the
nonzeros within a matrix? In that case, rows are actually split among
processes and this breaks some packages in Trilinos. The short answer is
that Isorropia does not currently support 1D-to-2D rebalancing (but it
is something we are considering for the future). However, Epetra works
with matrices distributed in 2D fashion, in particular, matvecs work
well. Unfortunately, most preconditioners do not support this.

I am curious what your application is and why you think 2D would be
better (more scalable) than 1D distribution.

Thanks,
Erik

PS: Partitioning of matrix rows based on 2D geometry is a completely
different meaning of "2D partitioning".