[Trilinos-Users] Using SerialComm when MPI is enabled

Eric Marttila eric.marttila at thermoanalytics.com
Mon Sep 9 20:34:25 MDT 2013

Hello,

Is it possible to use Trilinos in serial mode even when it is
compiled with MPI turned on?

I have some code that runs in parallel (using MPI) for some of
its operation, but I want to use just a single process for a
second part of the application, and this second part involves the
execution of an AztecOO solve.  I thought I could do this by
using Epetra_SerialComm instead of Epetra_MpiComm when setting up
my AztecOO solve.

However, when running a solve I get an error from AztecOO:
AztecOO::SetProcConfig ERROR, failed to dynamic_cast Comm to
Epetra_MpiComm. dynamic_cast of Comm() failed

Does anyone know of a work-around to this problem?  Or do I have
to build trilinos without MPI support to do what I need to do?

Thank you,
--Eric

--
Eric A. Marttila