[Trilinos-Users] BLAS

Heroux, Mike MHeroux at csbsju.edu
Fri Oct 11 10:19:05 MDT 2013

For a typical use of Epetra with preconditioned Krylov solvers, an optimized BLAS implementation will have little impact.  With the exception of one kernel in GMRES (a call to DGEMV), standard Krylov methods contain only BLAS1-type kernels (a single "for" loop over 1D arrays) which typically don't see much improvement from a vendor BLAS library vs what the compiler can do.  Furthermore, BLAS1 kernels do not perfectly match the needs of Krylov methods, so many BLAS1-type kernels cannot be replaced with BLAS1 library calls.

Use of optimized BLAS can have a significant impact on Epetra and related solvers if you are using:

  *   GMRES via AztecOO or Belos and have a large Krylov subspace size.
  *   Any block solvers in Belos or Anasazi.
  *   Intrepid.
  *   Any other part of Trilinos that calls BLAS 2 or 3 kernels.

Mike