[Trilinos-Users] ML's MatrixFreePreconditioner can't handle "matrices" with zeroed rows and columns?

Ramsey, James J CIV (US) james.j.ramsey14.civ at mail.mil
Tue Jul 16 12:45:26 MDT 2013

Following up on the earlier post, "Problems with crashing with the ML's MatrixFreePreconditioner" ...

After working further with ML's MatrixFreePreconditioner, I find that it seems to consistently crash with cases where the graph of the matrix has at least one row and column that is empty except for the diagonal entry, as would be the case for a matrix with a Dirichlet boundary condition applied. I've found this to be the case even when I've applied the MatrixFreePreconditioner to actual matrices (in order to try to rule out bugs in the element-by-element operator).

The matrix-ready MultiLevelPreconditioner has no such problem.