[Trilinos-Users] Problems with crashing with the ML's MatrixFreePreconditioner (UNCLASSIFIED)

Ramsey, James J CIV (US) james.j.ramsey14.civ at mail.mil
Wed Jul 3 11:52:17 MDT 2013

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

-----Original Message-----
I've tried two different types of Epetra_CrsGraph with the
MatrixFreePreconditioner: one like that used to construct the
Epetra_CrsMatrix, and one like that used to construct the Epetra_FEVbrMatrix
(with a block size of 3).
-----End Original Message-----

Okay, I've tried a new graph, which seems to work, at least in the sense of
not crashing and of returning the same results that I get when not using the
preconditioner. What I did was to create a graph *without* applying the
boundary conditions that I apply when creating the graph for the
Epetra_FEVbrMatrix.

However, performance isn't particularly better than not using a
preconditioner. I've got far fewer *iterations* (~50 iterations with ML vs.
~300 without), but each iteration takes longer. Currently, I'm using the
Chebyshev smoother and "METIS" as the aggregation type. The other parameters
are left at their defaults.