[Trilinos-Users] crash using Amesos_superludist

Robert Crockett rkcrockett at txcorp.com
Fri Feb 15 15:08:02 MST 2013

Hello,

I am using superLU_dist through Amesos, and am seeing a crash in
parallel. The same problem run using superLU in serial completes without
issue.

The error is at the NumericalFactorization step - it exits with an error
code of -1, indicating an issue with the operator. Attached is a stack
trace from a single processor run, still using superLU_dist.

I have also attached the matrix, in Matrix Market format, as output
before the NumericalFactorization step. I have verified that it is the
same whether I run in parallel or serial.

Now for my request: Does anyone have suggestions for how to narrow down
the cause of the problem? It appears to me to come from SuperLU, but of
course Amesos is the intermediary here so I would like know what
facilities in Trilinos might help in trying to rule that out.

One specific question I have is whether superLU_dist requires the global
row numbers to be contiguous. I ask because I do not see this crash in
problems where that is the case. If so, then is there a way to get
around that requirement? (I would like to avoid making them contiguous,
if possible, in order to avoid the necessary communication, storage, and
code complexity. But perhaps Trilinos provides means for doing this
painlessly?)

Many thanks,
Robert

--
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled."
-Plutarch