[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Recycling Conjugate Gradient (RCG) for poisson problem

Parks, Michael L mlparks at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 26 15:26:05 MST 2012

Bart,

   If you have all the RHS vectors available simultaneously (I'm assuming you do not), using block CG might be most efficient. If the RHS vectors change slowly from one to the next, you can use the solution to the previous solve as the initial guess for the next solve. If neither of these are the case, Recycling CG is a good choice. I've used RCG preconditioned with ML before with no issues. RCG is meant to solve sequential linear systems. In particular, for the first system in the sequence, RCG should give exactly the same convergence behavior as CG. If you're not getting that behavior, there is an error somewhere.

   If you want, please e-mail me the source code segment where you called RCG and I'll have a look over it.

Best,

- Mike

Mike Parks
http://www.sandia.gov/~mlparks