[Trilinos-Users] Symmetric matrices

Kevin Long kevin.long at ttu.edu
Wed Nov 7 16:19:35 MST 2012

Bart,

The Ifpack_ICT class does incomplete Cholesky, so you might look at
that. It's pretty easy to use and seems to work well for problems like
typical FEM stiffness and mass matrices.

However, I should say that one of my students, Kim Kennedy, recently did
a master's project in which she used Ifpack_ICT with CG rather heavily,
and in the course of testing her code she ran into a number of problems
where Ifpack's ICT failed due to blowup during the incomplete
factorization. She tested it for all SPD problems in the matrix market
test suite; the Ifpack_ICT failure rate was nontrivial, probably at
least 25% of the MM SPD test problems. Matlab's cholinc worked fine for
all. (Mike H: now that her thesis is done, Kim will be putting together
a bug report describing the failures.)

I'll reiterate, though, that she had no problem with Ifpack_ICT on some
large FEM calculations so if that's the sort of problem you're doing,
Ifpack_ICT may work well for you.

Kevin

--
Kevin Long
Associate Professor

"The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom"
- Bertrand Russell