[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Epetra_FECrsMatrix memory issues?

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 01:23:53 MDT 2012

I think I now see what the issue is.
Epetra_FECrsMatrix::InputNonlocalValue() contains a number of
std::vector<double>::insert() statements working on class variables,
effectively extending the vectors every time this method is called.
This becomes an issue if the same matrix is filled a number of times
(as is the case with my application).
I'm not sure about why one sees the large memory allocation in the
std::vector<>::iterator after all, but this has been observed before
<https://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?31968>.
It looks very much like this has been introduced in
72ed0256d81640b7374e5da028900daca9a86016 last February.

Additionally,
grep "insert(" ./packages/epetra/src/
shows that there are a number of other calls to insert in methods
which may be called a couple of times in a row, so those will probably
need to be checked.

--Nico