[Trilinos-Users] Epetra_FECrsMatrix memory issues?

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:07:10 MDT 2012

Hi all,

I recently discovered that, for large-scale problems, my (LOCA-based)
application code consumes more and more memory as the computation goes
along, eventually resulting in an ungraceful exit of it all. I now did
a memory profile of the code and, surprisingly, a large chunk of the
memory that is consumed are "std::vectors", supposedly allocated by
Epetra_FECrsMatrix::InputNonlocalValue().

The design of the code is such that there is an Epetra_FECrsMatrix
factory with a cache of one matrix (all of the matrices in my code
have the same graph). Upon calling the giveMeAMatrix() for this
factory, the cache gets (conditionally) recreated and is subsequently
copied out. It seems that this recalculate process eats more memory as
more and more matrices are computed.
I put up a memory profile for anyone to look at
<http://win.ua.ac.be/~nschloe/other/massif.out.3902>, e.g., using the
massif-visualizer (screen shot of my application view here
<http://win.ua.ac.be/~nschloe/other/massif-vis.png>).

Anyone with similar issues here, or an idea for a remedy?

Cheers,
Nico