[Trilinos-Users] ML/AztecOO scalability

Eric Marttila eric.marttila at thermoanalytics.com
Tue Jan 31 07:48:11 MST 2012

Dear all,

I've used ML and AztecOO for solving linear systems on a single processor.
Now I'm looking at running on multiple processors.  As a first step I compiled
and ran the ML/AztecOO example (solving Laplace equation) from:

http://code.google.com/p/trilinos/wiki/MLAztecOO

I used a problem size of 8 million and ran with 1, 2, 3, and 4 processors.
The solution times for each case are listed below:

np=1               Solution time: 38.168500 (sec.)
np=2               Solution time: 26.174297 (sec.)
np=3               Solution time: 21.492841 (sec.)
np=4               Solution time: 21.108066 (sec.)

Can anyone comment on whether or not these timing results are reasonable?  I
was expecting that I would see close to linear speedup, but with this case I
see a speedup of only 1.8 with 4 processors, and based on the trend there
would be little or no additional speedup with more processors.  I tested with
smaller problem sizes and saw the same results.

I'm using Trilinos 10.8.5, configured as release, with MPI enabled.  I'm using
mpich2 and the tests were run on a quad-core (Intel i7) with 8 Gb of memory.
(OS is 64bit linux fedora 14)

I would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions of what I could do to
improve the scalability.

Thank you.
--Eric

--
Eric A. Marttila
ThermoAnalytics, Inc.

email: Eric.Marttila at ThermoAnalytics.com
phone: 810-636-2443
fax:   906-482-9755
web: http://www.thermoanalytics.com