[Trilinos-Users] Incomplete Cholesky Conditioning

Chris Siefert csiefer at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 9 14:33:15 MST 2012

Kimberly,

The IC preconditioners are a "structural" incomplete factorization.
This means that powers of the matrix (it's graph, strictly speaking) are
used to determine the sparsity pattern (e.g. IC(0) has the sparsity
pattern of A, IC(1) has the sparsity pattern of A^2, etc. ).

The ICT preconditioners use a dropping threshold to pick the sparsity
pattern (e.g. it keeps all entries bigger than your threshold).

Which one you should choose is problem dependent.

The Ifpack docs at trilinos.sandia.gov detail the differences in a bit
more precision:

http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/dev/packages/ifpack/doc/html/ifp_ilu.html

As for the STAND_ALONE option, this applies to what to do in parallel.
The stand-alone versions drop all off processor entries.  The
non-stand-alone versions wrap the incomplete factorization inside an
overlapping Schwarz method.  This usually gives a better (albeit more
expensive) preconditioner.

Again, the "correct" choice will depend on your problem.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Chris Siefert