[Trilinos-Users] Building SEACAS questions.

Gregory Sjaardema gdsjaar at sandia.gov
Thu Feb 23 08:13:57 MST 2012

On 2/23/12 7:03 AM, Meyer, Hal wrote:
> I would like to build just the seacas tools.
>
> I have been messing around with this for a while and thought
> I could save some time by asking.
>
> What are the basic cmake commands to build the SEACAS tools?
>
> What versions of nedcdf4, hdf5 and szip are required?
>
> What other TPL are needed?
>
> Thanks,
> Hal Meyer
> SNL

You should use the latest netcdf which is netcdf-4.1.3.
I think that this netcdf recommends the use of the latest hdf5 which is
hdf5-1.8.8.

You will have to modify some #defines in netcdf.h -- See
packages/seacas/libraries/exodus/README.

When you build netcdf, I typically use the following configure flags
which disable functions not used by exodus and eliminates the need for
some external libraries:

     --enable-netcdf-4 --disable-f77 --disable-f90 --enable-shared
--disable-fsync --disable-dap --disable-cdmremote

For Trilinos cmake build, you will need

  * -D Trilinos_ENABLE_SEACAS:BOOL=ON
  * -D Netcdf_LIBRARY_DIRS:PATH=${NETCDF}/lib
  * -D TPL_Netcdf_INCLUDE_DIRS:PATH=${NETCDF}/include
  * -D TPL_ENABLE_Netcdf:BOOL=ON

The biggest issue that you will encounter is that the Trilinos SEACAS
version is typically not built with the netcdf4 (hdf5 use) enabled, so
the addition of the extra hdf5 libraries on the link lines is not
automated yet. I have talked to Brent and Jim about this, but we haven't
yet worked on it (it is an optional story in the current sprint...)

Another option that may be easier for you at this time is to build the
SEACAS tools out of the SEACAS distribution at
http://jal.sandia.gov/SEACAS/download.html and grab the "seams.tar.gz"
This also includes the modified netcdf libraries and the hdf5 library.

Let me know if you have any issues.
--Greg