[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Re: problem computing eigenvalues with Sundance

Thornquist, Heidi K hkthorn at sandia.gov
Fri Feb 3 10:07:34 MST 2012

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for sending the parameter list, this is very helpful.  I can make a couple of observations about the parameters that may help you.
First, I'm not sure how Sundance sets up the eigenvalue problem in its interface to Anasazi, but if you are needing to compute the smallest
magnitude eigenvalues, indicated by setting "Which" as "SM", then convergence is much faster if a spectral transformation is used on the
original eigenvalue problem (i.e. Shift-Invert).  In general, block Krylov-Schur converges to the largest magnitude eigenvalues first and is slow
converging to the smallest magnitude eigenvalues.

Next, two of the parameters in the list indicate the size of the subspace in which the approximate eigenvalues are computed:  "Num Blocks" and "Block Size"
Together, "Num Blocks" x "Block Size", is the total size of the subspace.  This number should be at least 3 times the number of eigenvalues you wish
to compute, which given by "Number of Eigenvalues", should be at least 30 and is currently 16.  This means that at every restart you are adding
at most 6 new vectors to the subspace.  This combined with the slow convergence properties of computing the smallest eigenvalues is probably the
issue.

If a spectral transformation is not available to you, I might suggest significantly increasing the "Num Blocks" parameter and maybe reducing the "Convergence Tolerance"
parameter until Sundance starts returning eigenvalues (you can also try reducing the number of eigenvalues you require temporarily).
It's difficult to know what these numbers should be apriori, so this will be trial and error.  Then you can decrease the convergence tolerance
and increase the subspace size and/or restarts to get the eigenvalues you desire.  FYI, "Num Blocks" x "Block Size" cannot be larger than the
dimension of the eigenproblem or you will receive another kind of exception for Anasazi, so don't increase that number too drastically :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Heidi