[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] AztecOO: AZ_extract_comm_info

Raymond Tuminaro rstumin at sandia.gov
Thu Dec 20 11:12:47 MST 2012

Andrea,
   I suspect that this obscure error message is something that I wrote about 10+ years ago before Trilinos really even
existed. I'm not sure why you are getting this, but I can perhaps tell you what it means. For Aztec (which obviously
sits inside Trilinos) all the ghost elements of a vector (that is elements of a vector needed -but not owned- by a
processor to perform its local part of a matrix-vector product) must have a local numbering which is greater than
all the vector elements that are owned by the processor. For example, if a processor owns 10 elements, then the way
local ids are numbered for both matrices and vectors should be so that v[0:9] correspond to the locally owned vector
components while v[> 9] would be the ghost variables filled by some communication routine.

Hope this helps.
-Ray

On 12/20/12 08:48, Villa Andrea (RSE) wrote:
> I'm experiencing some problems solving a linear system with AztecOO in a parallel environment. I've built a square
> matrix with a non-overlapping rowMap, the same rowMap is used to set the rangeMap and the domainMap using the
> fillComplete method. The colMap is not specified.
> The right hand side has the same rowMap as the matrix.
>
> AztecOO aborts showing a rather obscure message: AZ_extract_comm_info: Received elements must be stored after all 68
> local elements.
>
> I appriciate any kind of suggestion.
> Best regards. Andrea.
>
> /
> RSE SpA ha adottato il Modello Organizzativo ai sensi del D.Lgs.231/2001, in forza del quale l'assunzione di
> obbligazioni da parte della Società avviene con firma di un procuratore, munito di idonei poteri. RSE adopts a
> Compliance Programme under the Italian Law (D.Lgs.231/2001). According to this RSE Compliance Programme, any commitment
> of RSE is taken by the signature of one Representative granted by a proper Power of Attorney.
>
> Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono riservate e confidenziali e ne e' vietata la
> diffusione in qualsiasi modo o forma. Qualora Lei non fosse la persona destinataria del presente messaggio, La invitiamo
> a non diffonderlo e ad eliminarlo, dandone gentilmente comunicazione al mittente. The information included in this
> e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the correct recipient, you are
> kindly requested to notify the sender immediately, to cancel it and not to disclose the contents to any other person./

Ray Tuminaro                      phone: (925) 294-2564
MS 9159                           fax:   (925) 294-2234
Sandia National Laboratories      email: rstumin at sandia.gov
PO Box 969                        http://www.cs.sandia.gov/~rstumin
Livermore, CA 94551