[Trilinos-Users] ML compilation with latest parmetis

Martin Vymazal martin.vymazal at vki.ac.be
Tue Apr 24 03:55:33 MDT 2012

Dear Trilinos developers,

  I have ParMETIS ver. 4.0.2 installed. When compiling Trilinos
10.10.1 with ML enabled, I was getting compilation errors about the
type 'idxtype' not defined in the following files:

   trilinos-10.10.1-Source/packages/ml/src/Coarsen/ml_agg_METIS.c
   trilinos-10.10.1-Source/packages/ml/src/Coarsen/ml_agg_ParMETIS.c

It seems that the problem is caused by the fact that the header
metis.h now uses a type 'idx_t' instead of the old 'idxtype'.

Therefore I changed the code in ml_agg_METIS.c from

#ifdef HAVE_ML_METIS
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif
#include "metis.h"
#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif

#ifdef HAVE_ML_METIS
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif
#include "metis.h"
#define idxtype idx_t
#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif

and similarly in ml_agg_ParMETIS.c

After that, Trilinos compiled fine. I'm not sure this is a standard
solution and maybe you're already aware of the problem with the new
ParMETIS. Do you have any comments on this?

  Best regards,

    Martin Vymazal