[Trilinos-Users] llvm-gcc / clang

Holger Brandsmeier holger.brandsmeier at sam.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 12 13:22:27 MDT 2012

Brent,

will Trilinos also work with clang (also part of llvm and mostly
compatible to gcc) or only llvm-gcc? I actually never used llvm-gcc,
does it produces as nice error messages as clang?

Do those errors occur if I use clang to compile trilinos itself, or
also if I build trilinos with gcc and use clang to build a library
which links against trilinos? I never experienced such problems in the
second variant and I already do that for a year now. Including the use
of fortran based lapack / blas implementations.

As for clang, I ocasionaly got crashes of the compiler itself, which
disappeared once I started to use very recent versions of clang (3.1).
I noticed that I didn't have to change any header files for Trilinos
10.10 any more, which I still had to fix quite a few headers for 10.6.
Thanks for that.

-Holger

Holger Brandsmeier, SAM, ETH Zürich
http://www.sam.math.ethz.ch/people/bholger