[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] NOX::Epetra::LinearSystemAztecOO

Roger Pawlowski rppawlo at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 28 06:14:24 MST 2011

Hi Mike,

The "Required" interface is required to construct the
NOX::Epetra::Group, not to construct the LinearSystem.  The linear
system object is used to access the Jacobian operator and its inverse
operator for solving Newton based systems.  The four constructors in the
linear system object support different use cases.  Essentially, the
fourth constructor you refer to allows for a user to supply their own
Jacobian operator and their own preconditioner.  The other contstructors
are for the use cases where some of this information is not present.  In
that case, the required interface will provide a residual evaluation
that can be used to construct the missing information.  If the Jacobian
operator is not supplied it will used Jacobian-free Newton-Krylov
methods to approximate the Jacobian vector products.  If a
preconditioner is missing, there are multiple options including using
the residual evaluation to brute-force a colored finite differnce
Jacobian to get preconditioner entries to hand off to Ifpack or ML.

Roger