[Trilinos-Users] Performance Question about Epetra_FECrsMatrix (and probably Tpetra::CrsMatrix too)

Williams, Alan B william at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 31 07:32:27 MDT 2011

Pat,
I haven't done any recent profiling of the FECrsMatrix fill operations. How high are the LID operations in your profile, compared to the fill in general and your coefficient-calculation code, etc.?

I believe the same issue occurs in Tpetra, since the matrix has to decide whether each contribution belongs on the local processor or not.

Perhaps a significant change is necessary to address this. One possibility would be to have the matrix not check local-vs-global for each row but instead store all contributions locally and only distinguish between local and non-local at the global-assemble step.

Alan