[Trilinos-Users] Help choosing a matrix format (CRS/VBR)

Heroux, Michael A maherou at sandia.gov
Mon Mar 21 06:41:05 MDT 2011

Hi Pat,

I think there are a couple of reasons people choose CrsMatrix over
VbrMatrix.

First is that it is simpler to work with CrsMatrix objects.  VbrMatrix adds
another layer of data structures that many people don't want to bother with.

Second, the Vbr matrix classes in Epetra are do not perform as well as I
would like them to.  We chose adding a serial dense matrix abstraction to
manage the block entries, which improves usability but makes it hard to get
performance out of small block sizes.  This aspect should improve with
Tpetra.

As for advice, I think going with the VbrMatrix path is best for new
development, especially on modern and emerging architectures.  VbrMatrix
gives us the opportunity to exploit a source of data regularity that is
going to be increasingly important.

As for examples, I know we have them, but other might be able to point you
to real code that uses VbrMatrix, from which you can get a good starting
point.

Mike