[Trilinos-Users] Problems compiling with MPI

Sensei senseiwa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 03:34:36 MST 2011

Dear all,

I am trying to compile (part of) Trilinos on my OSX 10.6. I previously compiled it successfully without MPI settings 'ON', and now I wanted to enable message passing. However, it seems I cannot do that due to a linking error on MPI!

I definitely would search on the mailing list archive, but I can't access them. In fact, when entering my *valid* mailing list subscription email and password, the form still asks for valid credentials. And by valid, I mean I asked Trilinos' Mailman to email my password. Am I missing something?

Teuchos builds successfully: the error is with an example. (console log will follow)

Thanks in advance!

sensei:buildout% make
[  0%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_BLAS.cpp.o
[  0%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_CTimeMonitor.cpp.o
[  0%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_CommandLineProcessor.cpp.o
[  0%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_CompObject.cpp.o
[  0%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_Describable.cpp.o
[  0%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_ErrorPolling.cpp.o
[  1%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_Flops.cpp.o
[  1%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_GlobalMPISession.cpp.o

[  4%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_XMLParser.cpp.o
[  4%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/Teuchos_MpiReductionOpSetter.cpp.o
Linking CXX static library libteuchos.a
[  4%] Built target teuchos
[  4%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/example/BLAS/CMakeFiles/Teuchos_BLAS_example.dir/cxx_main.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable Teuchos_BLAS_example.exe
[  4%] Built target Teuchos_BLAS_example
[  4%] Building CXX object packages/teuchos/example/CommandLineProcessor/CMakeFiles/Teuchos_CLP_example.dir/cxx_main.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable Teuchos_CLP_example.exe
Undefined symbols:
  "_MPI_Probe", referenced from:
      MPI::Comm::Probe(int, int) constin cxx_main.cpp.o
      MPI::Comm::Probe(int, int, MPI::Status&) constin cxx_main.cpp.o
      MPI::Comm::Probe(int, int) constin libteuchos.a(Teuchos_CommandLineProcessor.cpp.o)
      MPI::Comm::Probe(int, int, MPI::Status&) constin libteuchos.a(Teuchos_CommandLineProcessor.cpp.o)
      MPI::Comm::Probe(int, int) constin libteuchos.a(Teuchos_GlobalMPISession.cpp.o)

      MPI::Info::Get_nkeys() constin libteuchos.a(Teuchos_GlobalMPISession.cpp.o)
      MPI::Info::Get_nkeys() constin libteuchos.a(Teuchos_VerboseObject.cpp.o)
  "_MPI_Errhandler_free", referenced from:
      MPI::Errhandler::Free()     in cxx_main.cpp.o
      MPI::Errhandler::Free()     in libteuchos.a(Teuchos_CommandLineProcessor.cpp.o)
      MPI::Errhandler::Free()     in libteuchos.a(Teuchos_GlobalMPISession.cpp.o)
      MPI::Errhandler::Free()     in libteuchos.a(Teuchos_VerboseObject.cpp.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [packages/teuchos/example/CommandLineProcessor/Teuchos_CLP_example.exe] Error 1
make[1]: *** [packages/teuchos/example/CommandLineProcessor/CMakeFiles/Teuchos_CLP_example.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2